Thursday, March 24, 2011

Days 63 - 70

Hello, all.  I'm posting early today because I'm going to Austin tonight and don't feel like taking my computer. Since it's just early afternoon, I won't be using the normal format talking about my food and workout and whatnot simply because the day is not over.

I've picked up a few new accessories recently.  Normally there's nothing I like more than a new bag or shoes or earrings. But I can definitely do without these new items.

I got this lovely boot (just the one, though)

And these two... Ok.  I don't know what in the accessory world these suckers resemble.

Here's the story.  Last Friday my mom and I headed to the local high school to do some walking on the track. We were just a couple hundred yards into what we planned on being a 3 mile walk when my shin splints (when the muscle pulls away from the bone causing pain, in my case, up the side of my lower leg) started acting up.  I stopped to stretch my calves while my mom continued on.  I stretched for a minute, then continued.  Another 300 or so yards and I had to stretch again.  Not wanting to stop and stretch every lap, I decided to run because it doesn't hurt for some reason.  Cut to an hour later and I'd run 3 miles.  Longest distance I've ever run (yay!).  

I woke up the next morning with my knee killing me.  I've had knee problems since I was in 5th grade when my first orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me with Osgood Slaughter's disease.  Osgood is a condition defined by the tendons on either side of the kneecap being different lengths.  In my case, the tendons on the inside are significantly shorter than the ones on the outside causing my kneecaps to point inward.  I grew up wearing knee braces and patella stabilizers and, for a short period of time, using medical tape to pull my kneecaps into place.  Adding to the knee problems, I developed tendinitis during my sophomore year of high school and it has not gone away.  The area directly below my right kneecap has been swollen for about 15 years now.  Good times.  So, knowing how bad my knees are, if I'd planned on running 3 miles I would have worn a brace or wrap chosen from the plethora stored in my house.


But I didn't, so I spent that Saturday hobbling around.  By that evening my knee was feeling much better, but my right foot had begun to ache, I thought from the added stress of limping.  I did an upper body workout sitting on an exercise ball putting absolutely no weight on my feet.  The next day, the pain in my foot was almost unbearable.  The pain was coming from the outer edge up toward the ankle bone.  Walking on my toe was no problem, so I just concentrated on keeping weight off my heal and went about my day.  That was Sunday.  By Monday evening the pain was barely noticeable, so I did the Jillian Michael's video making sure that at no time did all of my weight rest on my right foot.  I made it through most of the video and felt pretty satisfied.  Tuesday morning my foot was fine.  I spent the day walking normally and decided that another run was in order.  Here's where I become an idiot.

I was about half way into the first mile when my foot started hurting again.  But I ignored it.  I've always had a high tolerance for pain (it's not that I don't feel pain, I'm just seemingly able to deal with it longer than others) so I kept running.  I did stop for about 15 seconds when I felt a stabbing pain in the sole of my foot, but that passed quickly, so I picked it back up.  By the time I'd finished the 3 miles (for the second time!) I couldn't put any weight on my foot at all.  Now, 2 days later, it has not improved in the least.  And tomorrow I have my physical for Norwegian Cruise Line.  So in a bid to improve my foot before 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, I've pulled out the boot and the crutches.  The boot to keep the foot positioned properly and the crutches to keep every ounce of weight off of it.  

Yes.  This is my life.

I've been accident prone my entire life; probably why I have such a high tolerance for pain.  The trainer in my high school used to call my brothers and I his job security.  As long as at least one of us was on campus, there was a need for him.  Here's a quick rundown on my high school injuries: multiple concussions, broken zyphoid process (something my doctor nor any of his colleagues had ever seen, leave it to me), multiple broken toes, various fractures, and multiple pulled muscles.  I've had every sort of x-ray, MRI, cat scan, and body scan there is.  I've even had electroshock  therapy and ultrasound therapy.   I've gone through three orthopedic surgeons, the first was also the trainer for the Spurs.  So yeah.  I've spent some time injured.  

Because I've been hurt so much, I like to self medicate.  I've been treated so much that I feel like I can recognize the cause of the pain and take care of it on my own.  The fact that I don't have health insurance helps that belief.  

So that's where I am today.  Like I said, I'm going to Austin for the night, so I probably won't workout at all.  And I'll be eating out too, so I'll gain some weight, I'm sure.  Yay. 






No comments:

Post a Comment